Skip to navigation
Skip to content
Canning Basin – Exploration Permit – Backreef
- EMP owns 100% of the Backreef Block and is Operator
- Backreef-1 was drilled in October 2010 to a depth of 1800m
- Oil was discovered in porous and permeable Laurel dolomites
- Production tests confirmed the discovery as non-commercial
- The well is currently cased and suspended at 1155 m.
- Environmental plan lodged in September 2017
- Environmental site visit by EMP and DMIRS in October 2017
- The company intents to Plug and Abandon the well in 2018
- The company will monitor exploration activity in the basin and reserves the right to recommence work if economic conditions improve.